CODE OF CONDUCT
"The best of people are those with the most excellent character” [Tabarani, Sahih]
Academy for Learning Islamic Foundations in Canada (ALIF Canada) has established codes and standards to promote and maintain a safe and positive academic environment. These principles are consistent with Islamic values and the character guidelines exhibited by of our beloved Prophet (PBUH). The code of conduct revolves around the characteristics of respect, responsibility and integrity among others. It is an obligation to all staff and students to follow these guidelines in order to instill Islamic morals, values and discipline within.
“Islam is a beautiful religion, full of wisdom and harmony. If this wonderful religion is followed properly then a typical Muslim would only be a great example to follow.” [At-Tirmithi]
Greet your Teachers and Peers
Interaction is an important facet of any society. In Islam, Almighty Allah stresses in the Qur’an that greeting holds a special place when interaction occurs as it signifies Islamic manner. We often take greetings for granted or attach minimal importance to it. Among many verses in Qur’an, Almighty Allah consistently reminds His people the importance of greeting: “When a (courteous) greeting is offered you, meet it with a greeting still more courteous, or (at least) of equal courtesy. Allah takes careful account of all things.”(Quran 4:86)
All members are expected to respect the sanctity of the environment and must refrain from acts or activities that contravene on Islamic beliefs and values. To maintain the intactness of our Islamic learning environment, school policies and guidelines must be followed to their entirety.
In a Hadith narrated by Al-Bukhari and Muslim, Mu-awiyah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Messenger of Allah said, “When Allah wishes good for someone, He bestows upon him the understanding of Deen”. The excellence in knowledge is a sign of Allah’s help to the one who possesses it and acts upon it.
Being respectful and kind was among the most prominent character traits of our beloved Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). As Muslims, we must follow the exemplary character of our Prophet (SAW) to exhibit the true essence of our religion. Almighty Allah says in the Qur’an (25:63) “And the (faithful) slaves of the Most Gracious (Allah) are those who walk on earth in humility and sedateness, and when the foolish address them (with bad words) they reply back with mild words of gentleness.”
As members of an Islamic educational institution, we must:
- Value differences and treat everyone fairly, regardless of race, color, origin, culture, gender, age or disability
- Speak politely and behave courteously
- Appreciate the beliefs and opinions of others
- Respect the rights of others
- Take ownership of one’s actions
- Maintaining the cleanliness of the school premises and oneself
- Think of others before yourself
“To us our deeds, and to you yours; peace be with you: we seek not the ignorant.” [The Noble Qur’an 28:55]
- Discourage acts of violence and abuse
- Forgive the wrongdoings of your peers
- Avoid violence in conflict and consult another person in authority
Ibn Mas`ud (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: I heard the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) saying, "May Allah freshen the affairs of a person who hears something from us and communicates it to others exactly as he has heard it (i.e., both the meaning and the words). Many a recipient of knowledge understands it better than the one who has heard it.'' [At-Tirmidhi].
- Exhibit honesty and truthfulness
- Help others in their time of need
- Refrain from involving in controversial issues and conflicts
- Communicate clearly and be transparent
Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said: “The blood, honour and property of a Muslim is inviolable for another Muslim.” [Muslim].
- Show care for the property of the school and of others
- Share information for the benefit of all
- Maintain confidentiality of the secrets of your peers
Specific Exceptions from Students
- Practice and promote safety at all times
- Enter and exit the building through designated areas
- No lingering around after dismissal on school premises
- Students who are picked-up during the day for any reason must inform the office, collect the exit slip and wait in the office for the parent/guardian
- Hanging out in hallways and any other areas is not permitted during class hours
- Students must collect a hall pass before leaving the classroom during class hours
- Students are expected to be punctual, courteous and cooperate to maintain the learning standards of ALIF Canada
- While waiting for the bus at school bus zone, students must exercise care and wait patiently in case of delay. Running, pushing and any other acts that may cause danger must be avoided.
Discrimination & Harassment
Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported:
I heard the Prophet (PBUH) saying, “A person utters a word thoughtless (i.e., without thinking about its being good or not) and, as a result of this, he will fall down into the fire of Hell deeper than the distance between the east and the west.” [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].
- Discrimination and harassment are illegal practices and ALIF Canada has zero tolerance for this type of behavior.
- Examples of discrimination and harassment include:
- Verbal or written abuse
- Taunts and threats
- Unwelcoming and inappropriate remarks and jokes
- Intimidation and physical violence
- Using electronic media to convey discriminatory messages
- Students are advised to report such behaviour to either their homeroom teacher or the main office immediately. Making wrongful allegations is also considered an offence to the school’s Code of Conduct. Students are advised to refrain from practices that constitute behaviors listed above in order to avoid consequences.
Acts of Violence
- Students should not be involved in any violent acts.
- Possessing and using weapons to cause bodily harm
- Providing alcohol or alcoholic beverages to peers and minors
- Sexual assault
- Possession of illegal drugs
- Vandalism and damage to school property
- Police will be involved and the student will be suspended immediately. Disciplinary proceedings will commence which may even lead to school expulsion.
- The designated authorization will conduct a search for the student’s locker and other belongings in order to seize prohibited items.
- The school Principal will proceed with necessary procedures as stated by the school policy and the Ministry.
TESTIMONIALS & SUCCESS STORIES
I truly appreciate how ALIF CANADA has helped my 7 years old understand and read the Arabic letters and memorize short Surahs (up to Surah Al-Bayyinah). May Allah reward you for your sincere efforts and grant you more success Insha-Allah.
REGISTER YOUR CHILD
DOWNLOAD REGISTRATION FORM