School Bus Policy
School Bus Zone
ALIF Canada has designated a specific area and zone for school buses to ensure safe drop-off and pick-up of students. Upon dismissal, all students must proceed towards the school bus zone promptly and safely. The buses will wait 10 minutes after dismissal. If a student misses the bus, it will be the parent’s responsibility to arrange transportation ensuring that their child is picked-up from the school before 4:00 pm.
Pick-up and Drop-off
- Students are expected to be at the designated bus stop, mutually determined by the bus driver and the student, 10 minutes prior to the arrival of the bus in the morning. The bus will leave the stop if the student is not there on scheduled time. The pick-up and drop-off times of each bus should be consistent within approximately 10 minutes; however, buses may be late due to weather and unexpected traffic conditions. It is critical that parents accompany their child at designated points and times to ensure that their child has boarded and departed in the bus safely.
- At the time of drop-off, it is the parent’s responsibility to receive the child from the designated stop. It is essential that the parent arrives 10 minutes prior to the scheduled time. Delays may occur due to unforeseen conditions.
- Any changes to the drop-off location from either party will require written authorization and consent two days prior to the day such arrangements are to be made. Upon approval, specific guidelines will be established and must be followed.
- In an event when the child is picked-up or dropped-off by your nominated individual, it is the parent’s responsibility to inform the bus driver ahead of time to ensure child’s safety and avoid confusion.
- In a situation where the student will not be attending the school for the day, parents must inform the bus driver to avoid an unnecessary visit.
When riding the bus
- Seats are assigned by the bus driver and students must follow the same seating arrangement unless notified or changed by the bus driver.
- Students must sit properly and keep all body parts inside the bus at all times. Standing is not permitted when the bus is in motion. Backpacks and other belongings must be kept within your assigned seating area ensuring that the walking passage is not blocked.
- Shoving or pushing is not permitted while boarding and riding the bus.
- Littering or depositing garbage is not permitted. Additionally, students must refrain from eating and drinking while on the bus to maintain cleanliness, unless permission is granted by the bus driver.
- Vandalism to the interior or exterior of school bus will result in severe consequences for the student such as revoking their privilege of riding the school bus.
- Any items that may present a hazard to other passengers or has the potential to damage the school bus must not be carried on the bus.
- Students must not disturb the driver unless there is an emergency. Yelling, talking loudly etc. may distract the driver leading to safety issues. To ensure safety and refraining from acts of violence, it is crucial that students must not use abusive or intimidating language. Acts of ethnic insults will not be tolerated and will be reported to the school authorities immediately.
- If a bus becomes immobilized because of inclement weather, accident or mechanical failure, all students must remain at the scene until alternate transportation has been provided.
ALIF Canada has zero tolerance for any discriminative behaviour. Such behaviours should be reported immediately to either the homeroom teacher or the main office to facilitate affirmative action.
Non-registered students must not board the bus unless the necessary documentation has been completed, submitted and approved by the school management.
Violation of School Bus Rules
The following procedures will be followed in the case of a violation:
- Verbal warning will be given by the bus driver about the unacceptable behaviour.
- Upon the second occurrence of the same behaviour, the bus driver will report the incident to the school authorities. The parents will be called in for a discussion regarding the issue. Until the interview, the student may ride the bus. There will be no adjustment to the fees.
- If the behaviour persists, the school authorities will conduct a discussion with the parent/s and disciplinary proceedings will commence as deemed by the school policy.
The school bus driver is responsible for providing a safe school bus service. If the student’s conduct endangers the safety of him/herself and others riding the school bus, the bus driver is obliged to warn the child of his/her unacceptable behaviour. As a parent/guardian, if you would like to discuss the conduct of the driver in such situations towards your child, kindly contact the school’s main office and your query will be escalated to the school authorities. Please do not discuss any concerns with the bus driver to avoid further complications.
It is the parents’ responsibility to ensure their child understands and complies with the standards and guidelines listed above at all times. If their child fails to adhere to the rules and regulations, disciplinary action will be taken.